+ Reply to Thread

Red face 200 yard 22lr groups

I'd like to hear from long range 22lr shooters on groups they have shot at this distance. I use a Anshutz 54.18 silhouette rifle with a 10-40x Osprey scope mounted on it for ground squirrel hunting. My best results were a average of 2.74 inch groups for 5 shot groups with 50 rounds using 4 wind flags, with a best group of 1.05 inch. That's shooting Eley black with eps bullet.
    My hunting round is Remington 38gr. hollow point. With this round I averaged 4.25 inch
    with the same 5 shot groups for 50 rounds. I use rubber o-rings on the barrel to help tune the barrel resonance.
    I know in 22lr silhouette shooting the ram at 100 yards is supposed to be comparable to a 500 yard shot on a full size ram with a .308 Winchester. Does that make a 200 yard shot with a 22lr on a small bore ram, which is about the size of a ground squirrel, comparable to a 1000 yard shot with a .308 on a big bore ram?. ifldned

I shoot at the ASSRA 200 yd target the 25 ring is 1.5" in dia abut 3/4MOA. With 10 rds I can shoot around 235 to 240 out of 250 this gives me a 2 to 3 moa group (4" to 6"). The top shooters are shooting 245 or better about 1 1/2 MOA group with most 3/4 moa (1.5"). I use a single shot Stevens 44 1/2 with a 30 inch barrell and a Weaver 24 power scope with a barrel clamp
    Don-
    Last edited by Crane; 01-06-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Thumbs up 200 yard groups Stevens 44

Crane,
    I wasn't familiar with the rifle that you are shooting so I looked some up with pics. Is your rifle that falling block that looks like a vintage Shutzen rifle? Is it engraved ? I noticed a few on GunsAmerica. They are quit something to behold.
    ifldned

It is a Stevens 441/2 and was/is a classic Shutzen rifle. Mine is a reproduction made by CPA in PA. Its not engraved If you want to see some of Paul Shuttleworth rifles go to www.singleshotrifles.com I think or search for CPA. They are fun to shoot and accurate.
    Don

Default Groups at 200 Yards

Quote Originally Posted by ifldned View Post
    I'd like to hear from long range 22lr shooters on groups they have shot at this distance. I use a Anshutz 54.18 silhouette rifle with a 10-40x Osprey scope mounted on it for ground squirrel hunting. My best results were a average of 2.74 inch groups for 5 shot groups with 50 rounds using 4 wind flags, with a best group of 1.05 inch. That's shooting Eley black with eps bullet.
    My hunting round is Remington 38gr. hollow point. With this round I averaged 4.25 inch
    with the same 5 shot groups for 50 rounds. I use rubber o-rings on the barrel to help tune the barrel resonance.
    I know in 22lr silhouette shooting the ram at 100 yards is supposed to be comparable to a 500 yard shot on a full size ram with a .308 Winchester. Does that make a 200 yard shot with a 22lr on a small bore ram, which is about the size of a ground squirrel, comparable to a 1000 yard shot with a .308 on a big bore ram?. ifldned
    Here is a photo (see link at bottom) of a target my son shot in a competition called the 200 yard Rimfire Fly Shoot I hold here in Sydney. Young Alex is 12 and this is just his third Fly shoot, best target I have seen in my 15 years of shooting and running this event. The picture of the Fly is a March Fly or sometimes called a Horse Fly and normally have a nasty sting to them - you might have another name for them in the states.
    The rifle is a stock standard Feinwerkbau (FWB) 2700 super match (bench) and he was using the new RWS R100 premimum ammo and stardard front and rear rests with No tuner.
    The group measured just over the inch by a small faction, while I have seen better\tighter groups down to around 0.7" I have not see all the shots in the 10 ring like this!
    Winds were light and variable and was shot on the third target of the morning, most of the guys at the range said they would be happy if they could do the same with their 222 and 223 etc.
    The Fly shoot is run monthly at the SSAA Silverdale rifle range just to the west of Sydney Australia.

My best 5 shot group in a comp was 0.71" with a Anschutz 2013 BR with Tuner using R100 Premium. Will be shooting the Fly shoot again tomorrow (Saturday) and winds are forcast to be light, will take the camera and will get a photo of the best group on the day.

Here's the link to the target.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...g/DSC_0311.jpg

Regards

Dave

Dave for some reason, I'm not able to see the photo. Sounds like a heck of a good target and a lot of fun!
    Brent

Thumbs up Great shooting

Dave,
    Heck of a target. Your son has the makings of a Olympian some day. Your .71 inch 5 shot group at 200 yards is a benchmark for us long range guys.
    thanks again, ifldned
    Last edited by ifldned; 03-13-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Default 200 Yard Fly Results

All.

The results from the 200 yard weekend shoot were mixed. there was a steady light breeze from right to left for the most part and every now and then it would push back from the opposite direction. Not the best conditions when trying to "float" the bullet into the target.
    Results were:
    1st Ed McGrann (Anschutz 54)
    2nd Lee McGrann (Anschutz 54)
    3rd Dave Dundas (Anschutz 2013 BR)

A couple of shooters waited for the breeze to drop off to nothing, but they were caught by the mirage which would "boil" and as usual you shots end up atleast 2" high. The guys who regularly shoot long range know to never shoot in a "boil" condition - hard to see the holes in the paper when conditions are like that.
    The best target of the day was shot by Ed McGrann (will post photo later) shooting his Ex-Olympic Anschutz 54 in a Kelby stock with R100 premium ammo and a Leupold scope - the 5 shot group target was 1 7/8" and he had 4 shots in the 10 ring so would have been the best scoring target of the day as well. Outstanding shooting with tricky winds!
    Young Alex Dundas used the older RWS R100 and was not impressed (5 inch groups with some verticle stringing) and finished in 5th place.

Regards

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by spi200 View Post
    All.

The results from the 200 yard weekend shoot were mixed. there was a steady light breeze from right to left for the most part and every now and then it would push back from the opposite direction. Not the best conditions when trying to "float" the bullet into the target.
    Results were:
    1st Ed McGrann (Anschutz 54)
    2nd Lee McGrann (Anschutz 54)
    3rd Dave Dundas (Anschutz 2013 BR)

A couple of shooters waited for the breeze to drop off to nothing, but they were caught by the mirage which would "boil" and as usual you shots end up atleast 2" high. The guys who regularly shoot long range know to never shoot in a "boil" condition - hard to see the holes in the paper when conditions are like that.
    The best target of the day was shot by Ed McGrann (will post photo later) shooting his Ex-Olympic Anschutz 54 in a Kelby stock with R100 premium ammo and a Leupold scope - the 5 shot group target was 1 7/8" and he had 4 shots in the 10 ring so would have been the best scoring target of the day as well. Outstanding shooting with tricky winds!
    Young Alex Dundas used the older RWS R100 and was not impressed (5 inch groups with some verticle stringing) and finished in 5th place.

Regards

Dave
    Spi200,
    It sure would be neat to see some pictures of the amazing groups you guys have been laying down at long distances. Thanks
    -Clint / SHOOTING FOR PERFECTION

Default Long range groups

Quote Originally Posted by Flykiller View Post
    Spi200,
    It sure would be neat to see some pictures of the amazing groups you guys have been laying down at long distances. Thanks
    -Clint / SHOOTING FOR PERFECTION
    I will take a look around home for my old targets and post them. I will also post the best target from our Monthly Fly shoot, normally they are around an inch or so for the better ones.

Regards

Dave

I'm a hunter but also like to screw around at those distances with my Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel/PFI 22 Long Rifle Rapid Reticle scope. I'm doing ~3 MOA at 200 yds. (6") avg. on the calm days using Federal Auto-Match.

I do a lot of shooting at 200 yards. Here are some of my groups.

Thumbs up 200 yards groups 22lr

Isaac,
    VERY IMPRESSIVE SHOOTING.... that must be one fine rifle you have. ifldned

It is a CZ 455 American. I have pillar bedded it and done some bolt work. It shoots CCI SV the best. It can stack them at any distance if the nut behind the trigger can do the job. I now have a witness. A friend of mine came over to shoot today and had a ball!!!!

When I started shooting 200 yards a few years back, this is what I was able to do once I got my zero. The gongs are (L-R) 6x7, 5x6, 4x5... I took a ramdom number of shots at each gong - working my way down to the 4x5 where (if I remember right) I believe I took 15 shots on that one, to end my range outing that day.

I used my Savage MKII FVT with 20MOA EGW Base and a 6-24x42 Mil-Dot Tasco Target/Varmint scope. Shot from the bench off a Harris Bipod with no rear bag.

I've been out of the long range game for at least a year, and will be getting back into it this Spring with my new Target set up of 1/4" round gongs by Quality Targets. I'll hang a bank of three at 200 yards (6" - 5" - 4"). As a side not I have hit as small as a 3.50 x 3.75" gong at 200 yards with some fair success.

It's an enjoying challange.

Last edited by JoeMac; 02-21-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Default O rings on a bnarrel

ifldned

O rings on a barrel? How does that work out?

Quote Originally Posted by spi200 View Post
    Here is a photo (see link at bottom) of a target my son shot in a competition called the 200 yard Rimfire Fly Shoot I hold here in Sydney. Young Alex is 12 and this is just his third Fly shoot, best target I have seen in my 15 years of shooting and running this event. The picture of the Fly is a March Fly or sometimes called a Horse Fly and normally have a nasty sting to them - you might have another name for them in the states.
    The rifle is a stock standard Feinwerkbau (FWB) 2700 super match (bench) and he was using the new RWS R100 premimum ammo and stardard front and rear rests with No tuner.
    The group measured just over the inch by a small faction, while I have seen better\tighter groups down to around 0.7" I have not see all the shots in the 10 ring like this!
    Winds were light and variable and was shot on the third target of the morning, most of the guys at the range said they would be happy if they could do the same with their 222 and 223 etc.
    The Fly shoot is run monthly at the SSAA Silverdale rifle range just to the west of Sydney Australia.

My best 5 shot group in a comp was 0.71" with a Anschutz 2013 BR with Tuner using R100 Premium. Will be shooting the Fly shoot again tomorrow (Saturday) and winds are forcast to be light, will take the camera and will get a photo of the best group on the day.

Here's the link to the target.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...g/DSC_0311.jpg

Regards

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    Is your Supermatch using the aluminum front sight extension ? I've found it to be a pretty good tuner with a weight approximating the front sight adjusted along its length. Are you guys getting the new vel. marked RWS ammo ? As yet I haven't seen any here in the states. I think Mike Cameron has been shooting some new R50 with great success in BR but I don't know if it's the latest or the same as what you are getting in Australia. How does the R100 compare to R50 at shorter ranges ? I think the FWB barrels are as good as made anywhere, just wish they had a 1-16" option.
    - take care - Dave

Thumbs up Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Is your Supermatch using the aluminum front sight extension ? I've found it to be a pretty good tuner with a weight approximating the front sight adjusted along its length. Are you guys getting the new vel. marked RWS ammo ? As yet I haven't seen any here in the states. I think Mike Cameron has been shooting some new R50 with great success in BR but I don't know if it's the latest or the same as what you are getting in Australia. How does the R100 compare to R50 at shorter ranges ? I think the FWB barrels are as good as made anywhere, just wish they had a 1-16" option.
    - take care - Dave
    We have not seen the RWS with the speeds marked on teh boxes as yet, did not know they were going that way. The RWS ammo appears to have chnaged their lube with the new boxes and it does shoot better at both short and longer ranges. We did a size by side test of the new v old ammo at 200 yards and the new stuff hits 2" inches higher consistently on the target so probably just a few feet per second quicker - probably due to the new lube alone.
    Both my boys shoot the 200 Yard Fly here in Aust and my oldest sone will be at the state titles next month to defend his title in Batemans Bay NSW. I just do a bit of coaching these days and will be taking a 5 or 6 man team from Sydney down south for the titles, hopefully we can take some of the top places.
    While the R100 has been the ammo of choice for years now, but the R50 works so well in one of our rifles I think I we will have to test the R50 at the longer distance and see how it goes.
    This year we have a new 10-60X March scope and a new 15-55X Nightforce which has just arrived to try out on the rifles so there should be no issues with not seeing the bulet holes when the sun gets low in the afternoon.
    Also have a new Hall rifle with a Broughton barrel which is shooting well at 50 so will see how it goes at the longer distance as well.
    Have a Stiller Copperhead on order now for 2 years being built, its getting close to completion but may not make it in time for this year event. Any new gun takes time to find what it likes, but would be an awesome spare rifle to have in the boot of the car especailly with one of the good scopes on it.

Dave