+ Reply to Thread
    wsmall Guest

Default The Pappas (JJ) Slider

First a disclosure. I consider James Pappas a good friend, but this is not an advertisement for him just an observation. I shoot in quite a few matches and keep up with as many as possible and I've noticed something. Shooters using the slider seem to do very well and I do mean very well. Now, this is not to say these are not good shooters to begin with, but, and I've not done this, but I believe shooters using the slider correctly (which means some work) probably have a higher average agg than those who do not. However, I've heard very little positive or negative about it.

Now, why do I mention this if it's not advertising? Well, we make a big deal out of indexing, which by admission of some of its own supporters is a minimal improvement, the slider, which appears to work and is tangible, seems to be going the way of the dodo bird. I have one and have used it with some success but I don't think I've put in the time to actually get maximum improvement from it. Has anyone else used one? If so, what's the verdict? Also, does anyone know any tips or tricks to setting one?

I would like to hear from James himself explaining exactly what the slider does and what is the optimum configuration.

Wallace,
    I have one of the short sliders. I tested it on one of my 10.5 lb rifles. I shoot IR5050 so I have to make 10.5 lbs. I don't recall the tuner setting but in testing I shot a ten shot group that was literally one hole at 50 yards. It was a Shilen 4 groove ratchet barrel, 16 twist. The conditions were late afternoon and perfect. Unfortuantely that rifle was overweight with the slider in place, I think it was about 2 ozs. overweight if I recall.
    Of course the rifle shoots really well with a Hoehn tuner on it too. But after minimal testing I got the feeling there was something there that was making the rifle more accurate in the calm air. Maybe managing the escaping gases better calmed the bullet down and made 'em more stable. Like you, I've seen a lot of folks using them and doing quite well.

I aquired an unfired factory 40X a few years ago, std barrel, only thing i did was pillar and glass the stock and Jewell trigger. i did a lot of work with a Harrels tuner, then i got a noodle. I put it on with the slider all the way out and the rifle shot better. i only shot it a couple times so can't really be sure, like Wally says, this stuff takes work. There isn't much info out there on how to adjust the slide, i guess it's trial and error Thanks, Douglas

***Disclosure*** I sell these, but here are my personal observations

I agree with Kent, I believe they are not more popular because so many shooters are trying to make 10.5lb and it puts them over the limit. The short slide weighs 8oz and the long slide weighs 9oz. The most accurate rifle I have ever shot is Fred Leeds turbo that he is currently shooting, and it has a short slide. I have never shot it without the J&J slide so I can not attest to how much improvement it has made.

The short J&J Slide consists of a tube that has holes in it and a sliding weight that has holes as well. You adjust the sliding weight to affect how much the holes are open. It has been mine and Pappas experience to place the slide on a Harrel tuner with the setting at 0. Start shooting groups as you turn the tuner out 1 click at a time until you reach 10. If it has not started shooting like you would like it to, move the tuner back to 0 and turn the slide weight so as to open the holes just slightly more and work back out to 10 on the tuner once again. James ships the short slide with the sliding weight set pretty close to the setting he has found to work the best.

The long J&J Slide consists of a tube that has holes in it and a sliding weight that does not have holes. It has been my experience that the sliding weight works best when it is flush with the end of the tube. You then place it on the Harrel tuner and find your best tuner setting with whichever method your prefer. I use the Hopewell method with 3 different velocities of ammo. On the Long slide you set the sliding weight and leave it.

HOW DOES IT HELP(Theory)
    When you fire the lead bullet down the barrel it must push the air that lies in the barrel and in front of the bullet out of the barrel. When the air/gases leave the barrel they tumble creating turbulent air that the bullet must pass through. The holes help this air/gas escape and not be in the flight path of the bullet.

I hope I explained that in an understandable manner.
    Dan Killough

dan,
    is anybody using it with the r.v.a. tuner? i have a harrel tuner on my suhl and the r.v.a. on my hall. we are all searching for perfection, and if these are helping we need to all look at them. if somebody is using one on the rva tuner are they using any wieghts or just the tuner base and the slide?

This may seem a little off the wall but if air management has an effect a surpressor with a tunable weight might be the ultimate device. Don's suppose any one out there has actually tried on on a match gun have they?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D. View Post
    This may seem a little off the wall but if air management has an effect a surpressor with a tunable weight might be the ultimate device. Don's suppose any one out there has actually tried on on a match gun have they?
    don't think i want uncle sam digging around in my home one night looking for the surpressor. not fond of being on a list of people who own one, not fond of anything that i would have to go through the government to get at all!!! i'll stick with just a tuner device. nice,legal and i don't have to jump through hoops to get it!!!!

Gonzo,
    some are using with them with the vonAhrens tuner, but I am not sure about the results or the amount of weight they have on them. The vonAhrens is shorter therefore it would change the overall length of the tuner and J&J slide combination. It would be interesting to see if that made any difference.

Dennis,
    I have not heard of anyone trying a suppressor
    Dan Killough

Dennis I have a suppressor on a 308 and if rimfire are the same the mirage from the can would just kill you. You may have to have a fan just blowing on it but it would be interesting to try one i was thinking of getting one my self

wsmall Guest

Richard,

Just in layman's terms how much sound reduction to you get from a suppressed .308? I know it's off the subject but just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmall View Post
    Richard,

Just in layman's terms how much sound reduction to you get from a suppressed .308? I know it's off the subject but just curious.
    sounds like a 22 magnum wally
    if you have to think more than twice DONT DO IT.