+ Reply to Thread

Default Scope "sight picture"

Does anyone have any thoughts -pros/cons on scope "sight picture" ? I find myself only using about 1/2 of the true scope sight picture.

In other words i back my eye away from the scope so i only see the "target ring" i'm about to shoot -and the next rings just around my target. I don't see all the target all the way out to the edge of the scope view.

I've tried it both ways, full view and partial view i don't see any difference in my scores /groups.
    Am i giving up something i'm not thinking about?... Diz

Quote Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
    Backing up from the scope will give you no advantage. Why wouldn't you want to see the whole target? I set up the scope so I can see the whole field of view. The more important issue is parallax. Make sure the parallax is out of the scope and there will be no issues due to head placement.
    I do watch for parallax. For me i think i can concentrate and maybe see better with the smaller sight picture. I have a "floater" or black spot in my right eye. My left eye is clear but i don't want to switch at this old age.

I find myself having to look around the floater in my eye, I position my eye a bit off center to look around the black spot so i use the small sight picture so my sight picture is more repeatable from shot to shot. i am always looking fro ways to improve is why i asked... Diiz

I have lots of floaters in both eyes. I too have a dark floater that often locates itself in the center of my vision which at time inteferes with my seeing the dot reticle clearly. I too will look a bit off-center or give my head a shake to try to move the floater from the center of my vision. With all that going on - I still want to see the whole field of view. If you have your reasons for doing it your way - what's the point of posing the question?
    Bill you ask "what's the point of posing the question?" another great question. I ask a lot of questions because i'm a lousy rimfire shooter trying to improve.

You to have the same problem i see from your answer - i never thought about shaking my head to try and make the "floater" or dark spot move, i'll give it a try! Your answer is a perfect example why i asked my question and i appreciate you taking the time to post.

Bill you have helped me and probably other shooters that will read this, thanks... Diz

I know a lot of Top BR shooters who will narrow their field of view for various reasons.
    One being there is not a scope made that does not have parallax!.
    However if there is a lot of Mirage then they will increase thier field of view in an attempt to pick this up.
    This technique is not for the average shooter.
    It’s like anything else in BR you have to do it the same way at the same time for every target & understand what you are doing – makes sense?

wsmall Guest

Floaters are one thing. I've had them since I was in my twenties. Maybe even earlier but that's when I noticed them. I can see them under certain lights and usually looking through a scope. However, if you have a black spot in the middle of your vision, isn't that a little more than floaters. I think I would look at an Amsler Grid and see how that thing looks.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmall View Post
    Floaters are one thing. I've had them since I was in my twenties. Maybe even earlier but that's when I noticed them. I can see them under certain lights and usually looking through a scope. However, if you have a black spot in the middle of your vision, isn't that a little more than floaters. I think I would look at an Amsler Grid and see how that thing looks.
    thanks Wally i just did the test...
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...msler-grid.htm
    everything looks good by their chart.

My rite eye across the bottom of the scope site picture is flat with a small black raised up portion,

Wally do you use the full sight picture?? ..Diz

My optomitist can see my dark floater during an eye exam. It's from a blood vessel that leaked in my retina. I check that chart from time to time as both my parents have macular degeneration. My mother has the wet kind and is legally blind and literally became blind overnight with it. My father has the dry kind and his is progressing much slower. Because of their history, I take supplements and eat lutein rich food, but as a result I'm not one to put off those things that I want to do or see. I know that I too could wake up one morning and not see.
    Bill i'm not too familiar with eye problems, sorry to hear about your Mom. I thought it took years to loose your vision other than accidents. I probably should visit an eye doctor, i'm 62 and never have been to one. It is easy to take things for granted. I took up Rimfire because it was going to be an easy "kill", lol... Diz

wsmall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy Dean View Post

Wally do you use the full sight picture?? ..Diz
    Yeah, Diz I use the full sight picture. I think it's force of habit more than anything but there were two reasons, other than it just seems right, that I started it. One was I once could see flags in my scope. At 42X that ability is gone. The other is someone told me if you did not use the full sight picture your would introduce parallax. I don't think that's true and like you I can't tell a difference if I try it the other way, but I think there's one more thing it does for you. There's a small window that you see the entire picture, so you're almost forced to put your head in the same place every time and I think repeatability is a large part of consistent shooting even if it seems like a small thing. I once saw a guy who had a little socket attached to his head (I think it was glued) and from his scope he has a rod with a small ball. On each shot, he would insert the ball into the socket to get repeatability. It seemed to have to much of a potential to create movement to me but I guess it worked for him.

A question for you and other shooters. Do you shoot with both eyes open or do you close one?

Dizzy,
    24 years ago I went from seeing OK, to what the heck is going on? In about 24 hours. I went to an eye guy and he put me on a plane to Dallas to a retina clinic Ė that day. I had the wet kind of macular degeneration. In those days the only thing they could do was laser it. Since it was dead center the laser would have left a blank spot so the doc said to wait it out. Within the month my left eye did the same thing, same place.
    After way too many trips to eye doctors, the swelling went down and Iím left with darker spots and distortion from the scarring. A cross hair is more like a cross with squiggles near the center.
    Some dark floaters are actually attached and are places with the ďjellyĒ is pulling on the surface causing a dark spot. So donít wait till something cuts loose.

I like to backup from the scope some because I think it gives me a more relaxed position for my neck and I like the feeling of being centered on the scope tube.

Iíve also seen a clear plastic ring that looks like the old reinforcing doughnut rings I used to stick on ring binder notebook paper in elementary school. The idea is that you stick it on the rear glass and it gives a reference so you know youíre centered on the tube - without obscuring anything.

I use two eyes, if I can remember to make myself do it. One of our guys has a special set of glasses with tape over the left lens.
    Regards,
    Jeff

I shoot with the off eye closed....... i'll try both open...... Diz

wsmall Guest

Diz,

The reason I asked that question is because even when I used to shoot pistols I shot with both eyes open. Anyway, I hit a stretch in BR where my scores went way down, not that they were that high anyway but in relative terms. I realized that somehow I had picked up the habit of shooting with one eye closed so I was missing switches. I regained the habit of shooting with both eyes and my scores improved even though I still miss switches sometimes (lots of times).