Thread: Factory Dimensions.....

Default Factory Dimensions.....

Could you folks contribute to a list of factory take-off barrel dimensions?
    For example, I've an accurate Sako p94 finnfire varmint barrel, and am wondering if it could be turned down to fit a Remington 504 receiver.
    A list of the following barrels tenon length and diameter would be most useful:
    Sako p94 finnfire and quad
    Remington 504, 580/540 etc.
    Ruger 10/22 and 77/22
    Marlin 80 series
    Anschutz 54 and 64 series, 2013 series
    Others?

Hmmm,
    physician heal thyself?
    Ok, so I disassembled a couple and came up with the following:

Ruger 10/22
    Barrel diameter at receiver .9165
    Tenon diameter .6875
    Tenon length .7455

Sako P94 Finnfire
    Barrel diameter at receiver .920
    Tenon diameter .7085
    Tenon length 1.647

CZ 455 Bull Varmint
    Barrel diameter at receiver .863
    Tenon diameter .7065
    Tenon length 1.190

I'd still like to have the dimensions for the Anschutz 2013, as well as others that either slip fit with pins or come from clamping actions.
    Take care,
    warren
    Last edited by obx22; 02-01-2017 at 02:01 PM.

3. Default

You sure about the Sako tenon? It's been a while but I remember them at about .708-.712.

Quote Originally Posted by obx22 View Post
    Could you folks contribute to a list of factory take-off barrel dimensions?
    For example, I've an accurate Sako p94 finnfire varmint barrel, and am wondering if it could be turned down to fit a Remington 504 receiver.
    A list of the following barrels tenon length and diameter would be most useful:
    Sako p94 finnfire and quad
    Remington 504, 580/540 etc.
    Ruger 10/22 and 77/22
    Marlin 80 series
    Anschutz 54 and 64 series, 2013 series
    Others?
    Warren:

I can add a few............

2000 Series Anschutz action tennons are approx .8665" x 2.390" in length (the diameter should be verified against the action ID for a light press fit - .0005" under action ID)

Walther KK300 action shanks are 20mm (.785") X 2.800" (they are secured with retaining compound).

I will post the Anschutz round 54 action shank data later (I am at work!)

kev

Quote Originally Posted by burtona View Post
    You sure about the Sako tenon? It's been a while but I remember them at about .708-.712.
    Thanks,
    Good catch, I've edited after remeasuring.
    Take care,
    warren

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nevius View Post
    Warren:

I can add a few............

2000 Series Anschutz action tennons are approx .8665" x 2.390" in length (the diameter should be verified against the action ID for a light press fit - .0005" under action ID)

Walther KK300 action shanks are 20mm (.785") X 2.800" (they are secured with retaining compound).

I will post the Anschutz round 54 action shank data later (I am at work!)

kev
    what is the best method used to remove a barrel from a Walther action that has been secured with "retaining compound"? Sounds like some serious stuff. I have a KK500 that will have the barrel replaced and just wanted your advice/opinion

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    what is the best method used to remove a barrel from a Walther action that has been secured with "retaining compound"? Sounds like some serious stuff. I have a KK500 that will have the barrel replaced and just wanted your advice/opinion
    The factory barrels are fairly easy to remove (at least regarding the KK300), the retaining fluid they use would probably be classified a medium strength (similar to a Loctite 641).

I let the action heat soak by setting a clothes iron on its highest setting, and resting it on the flat action bottom (I have the barreled action in a barrel vise, and an aluminum action wrench on the action itself). After a few hours, the action will break loose with a little torque, and will twist off (the glue has broken down at that point).

I have tested barrels re-installed with 641 (medium) and 609 (high strength), and in my limited experience, the stronger adhesive produces better accuracy. It is MUCH more difficult to remove though - a simple heat soaking is definitely NOT enough. I have been setting up the action in the lathe and turning the barrels out with the 609.

I will have a KK500 in the shop next week, it should be interesting to see how Walther is securing barrels these days.

All the best,

kev

8. Default

thanks, and if you get a chance and don't mind, let us know how the KK500 barrel removal went