+ Reply to Thread
    Enforcer Guest

Default Question for Bill Calfee

Mr. Calfee:

I would love to own one of your guns and I figure a lot of people prolly would . I think you're the greatest gunsmith of our time and got the recored to prove it. That don't matter none, cause I can't afford it anyway. Don't take that wrong. Value is made by what somebody is willing to pay os I'm not saying your high. But a friend told me it wouldn't matter if I had the money you wouldn't build oen for me. He's got a used one that shoots real good but used ones arent cheap either and I don't care if its Calfee or not you better be leery when buying used not that you can't get something good I'd just rather have new and tear it up myself. I'm not trying to cause a racket or nothing but is that true? I mean I figure a guy can do what he wants in his own business and I think that's a law unless you refuse to serve a minority or something (JK).

So, what do you limit your builds by. Is is shooter record? Type of action? Just who you like or who gets in line first? Any of those are good. If you don't want to answer that I won't be offended, but I'm curious.

I guess I should have made that a new thread. Anybody know how to change it?
    Last edited by Enforcer; 09-18-2011 at 07:08 PM.

I will be suprised if this post gets a reply.!!!
    Native

I will ask a question. What does a Calfee gun sell for?
    Kim

Enforcer Guest

The only chance I had a chance to buy was about six moths ago. It was priced at $4500. Owner would let anybody shoot it. I was going to try to haggle him some and antoehr guy just walked up an plopped down 45 hundred dollar bills.

The rumor mill is always going but I guess if yu can't do anything but guess that's what you do. I was told it's $1700 plus all the componets. Seems high maybe. I don't know they could be worth it. That's last year pricing too. It came from somebody who's friend got one. Seems to fit with used prices. But if a used one will sell for that price that quick can you blame him? I mean I don't.

Good luck to the man.
    He has earnt his reputation for good workmanship and now he is reaping the reward.
    Kim

G"day Kim,
    I think theres a difference between reward and Robbery.!!
    If someone is silly enough to buy one of these rifles at the ridiculous price they are set at, good luck to them.!!
    After all, its the shooter that has the biggest influence on the outcome.
    Regards
    Native

Quote Originally Posted by native View Post
    G"day Kim,
    I think theres a difference between reward and Robbery.!!
    If someone is silly enough to buy one of these rifles at the ridiculous price they are set at, good luck to them.!!
    After all, its the shooter that has the biggest influence on the outcome.
    Regards
    Native

Howdy Native,
    I read a while back, can't recall when, that part of the reason for Bill's prices (no, I don't know what they are) is that he would complete a rifle, and some people were selling them for a pretty good profit. More of a profit than Bill was making, and he was the one doing the work.

He raised his price to reflect what the market would bear. Sort of removed the middle man who was making more profit than him, based on the work that he did.

That makes sense to me.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Howdy Native,
    This may better illustrate the point. Some of the folks who were selling rifles that Bill had just completed were making a $2000 profit. And nobody was being forced to pay it.

His rifles are in demand because they perform. Like about anything else, the market will eventually set the price. If they don't perform, they won't get the price. There are other good smiths out there too. If the perceived value of their work were to start increasing to the point that folks could buy a rifle from them, and immediately turn a substantial profit, I doubt it would take too long for the smith to raise the price to eliminate the middle man. After all, the smith is doing the work. Like anything else, it fits into a supply and demand model.

There was a news story here in the U.S. last week. Target, a chain of department stores, had put some clothing out that had some connection to a famous designer. Women flocked, practically mobbed, the stores. Sold out of all of the stuff in hours.

Hours after that, a lot of it apparently started showing up on ebay! And starting at twice the original selling price, they were being sold too! I would be more than a little surprised if Target didn't raise the price on their goods when they get the next shipment in..............

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 404tbang View Post
    Howdy Native,
    This may better illustrate the point. Some of the folks who were selling rifles that Bill had just completed were making a $2000 profit. And nobody was being forced to pay it.

His rifles are in demand because they perform. Like about anything else, the market will eventually set the price. If they don't perform, they won't get the price. There are other good smiths out there too. If the perceived value of their work were to start increasing to the point that folks could buy a rifle from them, and immediately turn a substantial profit, I doubt it would take too long for the smith to raise the price to eliminate the middle man. After all, the smith is doing the work. Like anything else, it fits into a supply and demand model.

There was a news story here in the U.S. last week. Target, a chain of department stores, had put some clothing out that had some connection to a famous designer. Women flocked, practically mobbed, the stores. Sold out of all of the stuff in hours.

Hours after that, a lot of it apparently started showing up on ebay! And starting at twice the original selling price, they were being sold too! I would be more than a little surprised if Target didn't raise the price on their goods when they get the next shipment in..............

Greg
    So, how will this eliminate the middle man?? It just means the same thing will happen, but the price will be even more. There will still be a market for them, just at a higher starting point
    MC

Default Interesting.....

looks like capitalism.

Enforcer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    So, how will this eliminate the middle man?? It just means the same thing will happen, but the price will be even more. There will still be a market for them, just at a higher starting point
    MC
    Only if someone will buy. Nobody will hold anybody at gunpoint I don't think. That's robbery. But if a factory made a widget and only certain people could buy and they were taking the widget out the door and selling for more than paid the factory would go up. If it was well managed anyway. Just stupid not to. And if a used widget sells for almost as much OR MORE than the new widget cost, the price will go up. Stupid not to. If by the factory raising prices the used widget goes up, that's economics. I used to have a bunch, big bunch of older Leupolds. I figured ever time Leupold went up my scopes ganed value and I wouldn't wrong. Really, how can a person even mount an argument to that?