+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rechambering your factory barrel

Since I've seen what Rambo can do by setting back a 10/22 barrel.
    (Inch an a half rifle will now shoot an occasional high .2 inch group.)
    I'm going to beg him to rechamber two barrels from factory rifles
    that were much tighter grouping than the Ruger. The Remington 597
    barrel has a threaded barrel to which a collar or flange attaches.
    This flange is locktited to the barrel threads and attached to the
    receiver with two allen screws. Receiver is thin and over torquing
    the wedged mounting arrangement will break the receiver. Or so I've
    read. Shouldn't be too bad. Barrel vise, heat the flange with a heat gun,
    unscrew the flange. Got a brand new PTG Match reamer, looser than
    the LR Match but tighter than the Bentz, if Rambo thinks it will work.
    Marlin 989 (predecessor to the 795) is right on the edge of being great.
    Pinned barrel so it should be fairly easy. Rambo once said that he was
    afraid of cracking the receiver. No worries, I've got two Model 60's for
    donors if needed. If I can convince Rambo to take these on for winter
    projects I'll post results, or better yet, if they shoot as well as expected
    readers can see the results on Pine Belt match reports next year.

The 597 "can" be made into a rifle that can shoot a 250 - Brian Volker proved that. I have no idea what all he had to do to it to achieve that though.

Thumbs up Anything is worth trying once or twice

J,
    We going to start a new thread for the Marlin's and the Rem's. We'll see what we can do and maybe it will work. Just got to try it. I shot Bill's Kidd again with Wolf MT ammo this time with some wind and guess what,it shot in the low to mid .300's with me, than i tried some Lapua Center-x ammo and it did'nt do so good with. That ammo is made in the same place. And my 52D is shooting down in the mid .200's with the Muzzle device and the tube on it. So we will keep tinking with them. Your Benchrest buddy, Rambo (Douglas)

Default 597

Vibe, Brian Volker probably used a hand selected premium barrel. From what I've
    read he's not only a top notch smith, he's also one of the best shooters around.
    Thanks for the reminder I'd forgotten who it was cleaned a bullseye match
    with a 597. This will be a budget build to test how well a factory barrel can shoot
    after Rambo waves his magic lathe across it. A better shooter than myself
    will probably be needed for testing.

Rambo, Sounds like you're getting closer and closer to having the 52D dialed in.
    How hard was the wind gusting when that class shot? Wind had been picking up
    all morning. Sporter classes had nice calms when we shot. Marlin shot cloverleafs
    on 3 targets with one or two spoilers to open the groups. Caught fire on one
    target and shot the .2885. Congratulations on your muzzle device design looks
    like you'll have it figured out soon.

Thumbs up Rock and Roll all day and party every night!!!!!!

Hay J,
    That's us for sure, we got one more match to go and it will be Rock and Roll. We will see what we can do either make it better or worser huh! Well I think we can't make it no worser can we,it's got to get better think positive right!!!!! That's us Team Rambo or Team TUT or something, we'll come up with something. YBRF!!! Rambo (Douglas)

Question You better watch out dead_end I'm getting CK's 10/22 ready?

Hay J,
    I've been working on Charles K. 10/22, he got a brand new one instead of a used one, it was cheaper than those pawn shop special's. I cut the barrel back .055 thousandth of a inch,set headspace on the bolt at .043, reworked not one, but three trigger group's for him. 2 of them at 3lbs and 1 at 2 1/2lbs of pull which was the plastic houising. I slugged out the barrel and it a .2215 bore with very little choke at the muzzle. I don't know what ammo he'll be shooting in it,but it was shooting pretty good before this work I done it like in the 3/4 inch range. We'll see what she will do and I'll keep you posted on it, YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

Default .750

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Hay J,
    I've been working on Charles K. 10/22, he got a brand new one instead of a used one, it was cheaper than those pawn shop special's. I cut the barrel back .055 thousandth of a inch,set headspace on the bolt at .043, reworked not one, but three trigger group's for him. 2 of them at 3lbs and 1 at 2 1/2lbs of pull which was the plastic houising. I slugged out the barrel and it a .2215 bore with very little choke at the muzzle. I don't know what ammo he'll be shooting in it,but it was shooting pretty good before this work I done it like in the 3/4 inch range. We'll see what she will do and I'll keep you posted on it, YBRF Rambo (Douglas)
    If his was shooting .750's it was twice as accurate originally as the Ruger you built
    for me. That was REALLY amazing you turned a piece of junk into something accurate.
    Charles is a good trigger operator. He'll be tough to beat. Got to try more ammo
    in my Ruger. The rare sub .3 inch group is great but far too many fliers to win with
    CCI SV. Green Tag was awful.

Played with the 597 Sunday. Results were good and bad. Shot a personal best ever
    .220, that's my best @ 50 with any factory stock semi. Also shot a .954 with the
    same rifle using same lot #354 Wolf MT. 8 groups aggregate .622, 3-5 MPH gusts
    from 9 o'clock. Did get a rare high .4's when the wind calmed.

Got witnessed targets for the Marlin. Don't have any for the 597. May shoot it this
    last match just so we'll have a before rechambering baseline on record. If we don't
    need my bench for Custom SA.
    Last edited by dead_end; 09-26-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: edit line breaks

Lightbulb That 10/22 was already shooting 3/4 inch group's?

Hay J,
    That rifle was already shooting 3/4 inch group's Charles show me some target's he shot at his house. Now maybe it will shoot in a bucket I hope. Just may have to see what it will do this weekend to. Going to shoot Don's 40X with a MD on it this time. It shot a average 5x5= .342 with a naked barrel 28" long with several different type's of ammo, that kind of scarey an't it. We'll see what happen's with them this week end and it's going to be alittle cooler also. YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

Hay J,
    That rifle was already shooting 3/4 inch group's Charles show me some target's he shot at his house. Now maybe it will shoot in a bucket I hope. Just may have to see what it will do this weekend to. Going to shoot Don's 40X with a MD on it this time. It shot a average 5x5= .342 with a naked barrel 28" long with several different type's of ammo, that kind of scarey an't it. We'll see what happen's with them this week end and it's going to be alittle cooler also. YBRF Rambo (Douglas)
    I'm sure it'll do better than the bucket. May have to buy a box of every ammo in the
    store. I've got to do that this winter with my Ruger. Think I'll wait till we finish the 597
    and the Marlin rechambering first.

What was the wind like when you shot Don's 40X? Sounds pretty good so far.

Question A bucket will do it?

Quote Originally Posted by dead_end View Post
    I'm sure it'll do better than the bucket. May have to buy a box of every ammo in the
    store. I've got to do that this winter with my Ruger. Think I'll wait till we finish the 597
    and the Marlin rechambering first.

What was the wind like when you shot Don's 40X? Sounds pretty good so far.
    J,
    I mean to a hit a bucket at 200 yard's. The wind was blowing from the NW or 7:00 about 6-8 mph (kind of similar to our unlimited shooting time frame at the match) when I shot Don's gun, that was a naked barrel. Now I'm going to see what a MD will do for it I hope. I'll keep you posted on it, YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

Question What about the 144,does it have potential?

J,
    Let me know what the 144 got as in potential wise, we may to tinker on it also with your other project's. We might get it to shoot in a bucket when's it's over and done (LOL!!!).
    I saw the same ole stuff at the gunshow that's alway there. Some interesting item's that was alittle to steep price wise, you what I mean about that. YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

Default Mossberg

J,
    Let me know what the 144 got as in potential wise, we may to tinker on it also with your other project's. We might get it to shoot in a bucket when's it's over and done (LOL!!!).
    I saw the same ole stuff at the gunshow that's alway there. Some interesting item's that was alittle to steep price wise, you what I mean about that. YBRF Rambo (Douglas)
    Not much time to play with the 144. Son is having surgery for torn right ACL. From what I'm reading barrel is pressed in with a twelve ton press. Barrel should come out easily with a lathe cut for a bearing separator and a 20 ton press :>) Some out shot Win 52's. Don't have much hope mine will. Need to figure out a way to Anniston and get a H&R 12 before they all disappear.

Question The 144 barrel pressed in with 12 ton's????????????????????

Not much time to play with the 144. Son is having surgery for torn right ACL. From what I'm reading barrel is pressed in with a twelve ton press. Barrel should come out easily with a lathe cut for a bearing separator and a 20 ton press :>) Some out shot Win 52's. Don't have much hope mine will. Need to figure out a way to Anniston and get a H&R 12 before they all disappear.
    Hay J,
    I have not seen one yet that can be taking apart. Where did you find those spec's on 12 ton's of press on the barrel and receiver at, that would destort the barrel bad and if it did do the receiver in itself. It's pinned on, with how many pin's (one most likely). The hardest one's to get off so far was the Anschutz 64 that Tut's got. We'll try anything once huh!!! You going to be at the match this week end,and what about dead_end junior,how's he doing,good I hope. I'll check back in alittle while, YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

Default Press fit

Hay J,
    I have not seen one yet that can be taking apart. Where did you find those spec's on 12 ton's of press on the barrel and receiver at, that would destort the barrel bad and if it did do the receiver in itself. It's pinned on, with how many pin's (one most likely). The hardest one's to get off so far was the Anschutz 64 that Tut's got. We'll try anything once huh!!! You going to be at the match this week end,and what about dead_end junior,how's he doing,good I hope. I'll check back in alittle while, YBRF Rambo (Douglas)
    144LSB barrel is press fit only, no pin, no threads. Read this from RFC.
    Like you, I doubt they used 12 tons of force to press the barrel in. Like you
    said, never seen one that wouldn't come apart.

Varsity tight end for 3 years, bell rung a couple times, but he never got hurt.
    A year ago, while playing intermural flag football at college, he blew out the left knee.
    Little over a week ago, playing touch football with his buddies, he tore the right ACL.
    Surgery went fine. He's already working the knee doing rehab.
    You and I both remember being young and bulletproof.

Question You are bringing it to the match are'nt you?????

144LSB barrel is press fit only, no pin, no threads. Read this from RFC.
    Like you, I doubt they used 12 tons of force to press the barrel in. Like you
    said, never seen one that wouldn't come apart.

Varsity tight end for 3 years, bell rung a couple times, but he never got hurt.
    A year ago, while playing intermural flag football at college, he blew out the left knee.
    Little over a week ago, playing touch football with his buddies, he tore the right ACL.
    Surgery went fine. He's already working the knee doing rehab.
    You and I both remember being young and bulletproof.
    Hay J,
    You are bringing it with you to the match to shoot it. We will take a look at it and see how it is made. It must be fitted like a Annie 64 is, pressed or hammered fitted. We'll see then, YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

PS: I hope that boy of your's is doing fine after his repair's and I guess he's not coming to the match is he. Take care, Rambo

Hay J,
    You are bringing it with you to the match to shoot it. We will take a look at it and see how it is made. It must be fitted like a Annie 64 is, pressed or hammered fitted. We'll see then, YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

PS: I hope that boy of your's is doing fine after his repair's and I guess he's not coming to the match is he. Take care, Rambo
    I'll be bringing the 144. Got to take off the handstop, receiver sight, sling swivels,
    buttplate and front rail to make weight for custom class. Gotta scrounge up a fixed
    power scope this winter. Take a peek at the chamber if you have time. I think it's
    a standard sporting chamber. May be a good candidate for the Freeland reamer.
    Still not as ugly as the "duct tape special" tupperware 10/22.

Son says he's gonna come if he's not hurting bad. That 10 thousandths he beat me
    by made his day last match. Gotta look back at other matches, he may have set
    the small group record for sporter automatic with your 10/22. See ya Saturday.
    Attached Images

Question You get the 144LSB recrowned yet?

I'll be bringing the 144. Got to take off the handstop, receiver sight, sling swivels,
    buttplate and front rail to make weight for custom class. Gotta scrounge up a fixed
    power scope this winter. Take a peek at the chamber if you have time. I think it's
    a standard sporting chamber. May be a good candidate for the Freeland reamer.
    Still not as ugly as the "duct tape special" tupperware 10/22.

Son says he's gonna come if he's not hurting bad. That 10 thousandths he beat me
    by made his day last match. Gotta look back at other matches, he may have set
    the small group record for sporter automatic with your 10/22. See ya Saturday.
    Hay J,
    You have'nt recrowned the 144LSB yet, the crown looked alittle dingled up, but I know you will get her ironed out. Then see what she got one more time. Have you slugged it also to see what you got for bore size. Keep me posted on what it does, it sure was a good looking rifle to. YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

Default 144LSB

Hay J,
    You have'nt recrowned the 144LSB yet, the crown looked alittle dingled up, but I know you will get her ironed out. Then see what she got one more time. Have you slugged it also to see what you got for bore size. Keep me posted on what it does, it sure was a good looking rifle to. YBRF Rambo (Douglas)
    Recliner was begging to be held down after the match. Woke up in time to do
    a quick and dirty recrown with lapping compound. Wind had laid down, shot
    RWS SSHP 1030fps in high .3's. Wolf, SK and CCI still out to lunch. Remington
    subs were scary. Spitting sound like rurtured case. Close inspection showed no splits.
    Rem. cases were heavily smoked. This only occurred with the Remingtons.
    Unfired case OD measures .224 slightly larger than SK which was about .2239.

Rifle is a nice piece of history. Will slug bore today and edit post.

Default slug

Not able to edit post after forum went down.
    Anyway here's what I got.
    chamber measurements fired CCI Blazer case A= .2295 B=.226

bore slug - .2215 min. - some choke - tight @ forcing cone
    slug pushed easily down bore after being tapped through leade
    Soft lapped forcing cone area CCI SV shooting .5's
    This rifle will be getting in line behind the 597

Question That's some weird numbers on the chamber?

J,
    I'm sitting here reading and eating, and saw what you posted. Is that chamber the size you say it is (loose). Take your slug an insert it back in at the crown after pushing one through(line the grooves back up), now push it back to see where it start getting tight back at the chamber throat. You may have the fouling or carbon ring in it that need's cleaning out. You are using lube on your slug's and cleaned the barrel b4 you started, I know did that, keep me posted,YBRF Rambo (Douglas)

PS:I wondered what happened on here to be down for awhile, I've not heard.
    PS: A .2215 bore that's good. Now take a slug and start it into chamber throat and stop,take it out. The next one go half way of barrel and stop, push it back out. The last one stop at the the choke or crown, take it out either way. Now measure the first one (throat), measure the second one (mid way of the barrel), now measure the last onethat come through the choke or crown. Take these number's from 1st,2nd and the 3rd and that will tell you if it's a tappered bore or what. Keep me posted, YBRF Rambo
    Last edited by Rambo; 10-10-2011 at 04:59 PM.