+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Rimfire Actions are available today

Names that come to mind .... don't know if the are all readily available

Hall's Hall Action
    Baity's Falcon Action
    Stiller's Copperhead Action

Are all of these available and where can one see the specifics for the Copperhead?

KR

Question Rimfire Actions?

Not sure what you are looking for cause you missed quite a few: ULA, Anschutz, Rem, Win. Sako, Turbo. Depends of what you want to build, what class, and what Org. you want to compete in

wsmall Guest

When you say readily available I think you mean just order one and in a few months get it. Anschutz, Remington, and Winchester are factory, so you have to buy at the very least a barreled action. Sako may be the same way, not sure. ULA, Hall, Baity's Falcon, and Stiller's Lonestar come to mind. I don't think the Copperhead would be considered readily available at this time nor would the KSS/Myers.

And we are patiently waiting for the Jim Borden action....also unobtanium at this point. A very good stable of actions for a very limited market in my view. bob

We have 100 copperheads in work. The bodies are done and the bolts are almost complete. My best estimate for them is October sometime. We will most likely assemble 50 of them complete and then do the other 50. The KSS/Meyers are in the same boat for timing. We have lots of RBLP and RBRP lonestar 40X clones in stock.

ARA or IR 50/50 (non-sporter class)

And I'd be interested in an action that didn't not require a gun-smith makeover to "True them up" ..... ok for modes to firing pin, etc .... but not having to square things up or sleeve a bolt to get slop out of it ....

KR

Default Jim's Action - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bob finger View Post
    And we are patiently waiting for the Jim Borden action....also unobtanium at this point. A very good stable of actions for a very limited market in my view. bob
    Promises to be interesting and, perhaps unique. I am looking forward to it as well

wsmall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
    ARA or IR 50/50 (non-sporter class)

And I'd be interested in an action that didn't not require a gun-smith makeover to "True them up" ..... ok for modes to firing pin, etc .... but not having to square things up or sleeve a bolt to get slop out of it ....

KR
    I don't think you see that much, if any, in custom actions. Most gunsmiths probably go through them for certain things. Bill Calfee has stated that he does. There was a discussion on RFC a few days ago about how thoroughly Gordon Eck goes through an action.

I have Baity Falcon Sporter and Heavy actions in stock. All are RB/LP w/6 o'clock firing pins.

Default And then there is

The lawton action.I think it is also a 40x clone.

Default Why do folks clone the 40X?

Just curious. There must be some redeeming qualities there that are not readily apparent to the ignorant consumer, such as myself. I find the action to be unattractive visually and the barrel thread way bigger than necessary. Like I said, I'm somewhat ignorant of what may be beneficial.
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 08-10-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCameron View Post
    I believe it is. Are Suhl 150s appropriate on the list too?

What about Time Precision ?

Default Actions

How many are still in production?

Default Lawton no More !

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCameron View Post
    Barney Lawton died of a brain tumer 5 plus years ago,in the middle of his Rimfire project,that him and Jim Peightal had started, Jim finished the project and aproximately 40 actions exist. Roger Brock Finished the last 6 actions putting the Lugs in for the PTG bolt that was made for this action that Barney modified from his 400 series centerfire action that is a 40X clone. They still make the 400 centerfire but not the 400RF because they don`t want to install the lugs/cam in the reciever, too much of a hasle for the new owners.

Default Art has bought Time Back

Quote Originally Posted by rkcal22 View Post
    What about Time Precision ?
    Art sold Time Precision in the 90`s and made several versions of Rimfire actions, Richard Gorham`s mentors Derrel Lane and Mike Eishelman ruled ARA with their behemonth Times and the news was back then who would finish 2nd when they showed up. Art has acquired Time again and has sold Chan Mcdonald some parts,Art told Chan the First Time RF action he sold to Tony Harper.
    Last edited by SLICK WILLY; 08-11-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Default Turbo

I visited with Flash about 3 weeks ago and I had a feeling that it had turned for the worst,He has 50-60 actions almost complete,and had a firm casting his bolt handles for him in Montana,which is a bitch to make. Flash told me he put in 3 hours prep time on each bolt handle before he could put it in the CNC. Lets hope that someone can acquire the Turbo from Flash`s family and carry on with it intact. It is the King of Rimfire.

Default Kelbys Swindlehurst

After a Ten year run and less than 250 actions sold Kelbys discontinued their beloved Swindlehurst for not enough units sold. It is a favorite action of many because of the easy loading .Stiller has similar features in his Copperhead that will soon be out.Marion Collier is the #1 Swindlehurst and Richard Gorham has one they shoot indoors that is Killer. Kelbys had Swindlehurst in Canada make this Action for them ,maybe it could be resurrected.
    Last edited by SLICK WILLY; 08-11-2011 at 03:16 PM.

wsmall Guest

Overall, the Swindlehurst was not a proven winner and was comparatively expensive. Thus, it's demise. I tried to find Vic Swindlehurst at one point and actually found some relatives and his hometown. Of course, people are suspicious when a total stranger starts asking about someone so it turned vague at that point, and I'm not sure he's still around. However, it is my understanding that while Swindlehurst made the action, Kelbly's has the rights to it, and they have no intention of bringing it back. At least that's the answer they gave me. Both the Copperhead and the KSS/Myers have some of the features as does the Falcon. But for looks, I don't think you could beat the Swindlehurst.

wsmall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by katokoch View Post
    I believe it is. Are Suhl 150s appropriate on the list too?
    My opinion, Suhls are not available as an action and must be purchased as a rifle or barreled action and are limited, thus would not be readily available.