Thread: Magnetospeed Sporter Barrel Mount Chronograph

Default Magnetospeed Sporter Barrel Mount Chronograph

Anyone using one of these? Got to watch one work tonight, seemed to work better than some of the ones that have to be set out.

Weighs just a few ounces, would miss one now and then, but put several strings together.

George

Hi George,

The MagnetoSpeed is one of some dozen chronographs that the manufacturers or distributors have shipped to me over the years for an evaluation and/or a comparison against the system I built in my tunnel.
    Bryan Litz has also done the same testing independent of mine and both of us were impressed with it.

I have to say I was surprised at its performance because the number 1 problem with most commercial chronographs are the short screen spacings and slow clock speeds. That almost always means they lose a lot of accuracy and precision.
    By accuracy I mean they don't report the true velocity of the projectile. And by precision I mean projectiles with the exact same velocity will vary sometimes greatly even though they should read the same.

It works much better with jacketed CF bullets due to sensors using electromagnetic signals vs the solid lead of RF bullets, but I know of a lot of people using them with RF after adjusting the settings.
    At the time I was testing it, Jeff Madison was also interested in it and he great luck communicating with the manufacturer and providing us with some help.

I would think it'd be particularly useful for those who shoot at a public range because you never have to go downrange to set it up and you never have to worry about ambient light changes that often foul up optical sensors.

Landy

Default The pros know

Thanks Landy,
    I was hoping you would give me a good evaluation. The guy that had it, uses it mostly for CF and said it rarely ever missed recording a shot. He did say he had to increase the intensity almost to max, to get it to read RF reliably.

Thanks
    George